Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Similarities Among Generations

Kornberg, Wendi F. "A Single Family Case Study of Patterns of Movement Phrasing and Effort Dynamics Among Three Generations of Men" 30-Jan-2009

Link to Abstract: thttp://idea.library.drexel.edu/handle/1860/2950

Objective in Study:

The objective of this single family case study was to explore the similarities and/or dissimilarities of patterns of movement phrasing and effort dynamics among three generations of men. A Grandfather, Father, and Son from a Caucasian, Catholic family were recruited and asked to participate in a three part assessment, which included a questionnaire, a movement activity, and an interview.

Findings:

Overall, the analysis of the data collected fostered a greater understanding of this family, and it revealed that similarities among the Grandfather, Father, and Son are present. These similarities were observed among all three generations of men, as well as within the Grandfather-Father dyad, Father-Son dyad, and Grandfather-Son dyad. After evaluation of the movement demonstrated by the three generations of men, it was determined that this family has access to all of the effort factors, which signifies the presence of health. Since currently there is no baseline of normal patterns of movement phrasing and effort dynamics of male family members, this research began an exploration of the intergenerational transmission of nonverbal movement patterns. Future research can possibly use these nascent findings to expand and continue understanding this phenomenon. Further pursuit of this intergenerational research will continue to increase our knowledge and understanding of the family and the transmission of behaviors through the generations.

How This Relates to My Work:

While watching my family videos over and over again I began to pick up on similarities between my Grandmother, my mother, and myself. We all look alike in certain ways and act in move alike as well. Seeing my Grandmother at birth, then as a toddler, a young child, a teenager, and then an adult was very interesting. I recognized expressions, hand movements, and a certain look in her eyes. She does the same things now at the age of 70 that she did when she was a child and young adult. I noticed this with my Mother even more. There are a few scenes of her as a baby all the way to an adult, after she gave birth to me. She had the same gestures and expressions as she does now. It was amazing to see her from a time that I can't remember her, but am still able to recognize her and understand her movements. I can draw major similarities between my Grandmother, my Mother, and myself.
This case study, that I mentioned above, reminded me so much of these recent thoughts I have been having. They found that there were dramatic similarities between the three generations of men, in the way they moved and talked. It also mentioned that, because of these similarities, the three men were able to have healthier relationships with one another.
This was also very similar to some of my recent thoughts. My Mother and I can understand each other in ways that no one else can. Sometimes we hardly have to say a word, and many times don't complete sentences. We are able to talk to each other through body language. At times our expressions and gestures are loaded with more information than our words can convey.

No comments: