Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Amy Stein Artist Lecture

As always, I went into this lecture knowing very little background on the artist. I had seen only a few of her pictures. Honestly, they didn't interest me all that much. Once I started listening to what she had to say and how she felt about her work, I ended up liking her work and appreciating it much more.
I was surprised to find out that she came into photography at the age of 32, with no previous experience. I was also surprised to find out that she didn't have a degree in the arts. It impressed me that she just went out and pursued a life in the arts.
One of my favorite things about her lecture was that she showed her very early work; some things that she may not be very proud of. she showed pictures that, she said herself, were not very good. She was very real and easy to understand and feel comfortable with.
It seems that photography comes naturally to her. Her first series, Women and Guns, had some very powerful images. They looked a bit unprofessional, but I could see her growth as she went through her portfolio.
Her second series was more mature. Her lighting was much better. I loved to hear her stories, and how they made the photographs. It was interesting too see a project that I had never seen done.
All in all this was a very interesting lecture. She was a good speaker, and had the language to back up her work. So many times i find that listening to an artist completely changes my feelings for the work. If only every artist had the chance to do this.

1 comment:

Teacher Tom said...

Why don't you have any images?