Sunday, March 29, 2009

Lorie Novak (Installations)




Website: >http://cvisions.nyu.edu/Novak/

Shows,Galleries,Exhibitions:
ArtSway, Hampshire, England; The International Center for Photography, NY; Center for Creative Photography, Tucson, AZ; The Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago; the Houston Center for Photography; Breda Fotografica, the Netherlands; Jayne Baum Gallery, NY; University Art Museum, Cal. State Univ. Long Beach; Addison Gallery, Andover, MA; Stanford University Art Museum.

COLLECTED VISIONS I is a three part slide and music installation that examines the representation of women and girls in family photographs. These photographs were collected from approximately 100 women from varied backgrounds and different generations.

I wrote about Lorie Novak in a blog earlier this semester. I decided to look at her again to see how she installed her work. This installation really stood out. I have thought about using a projector to show my work. I love seeing the silhouettes of the viewers interacting with the work. It also just seems fitting to show this type of work with a projector. My Great Grandfather showed these home movies on a large screen with his family and the still pictures thta are in the movies were taken from a slide projector. I would love to be able to do this. Although, at the moment I don't know if I have the time or resources to do this.

Another thing I found interesting about this project was the way she talked about her work. It reminded me a lot of what I have been thinking of while working in this project.

"Subtleties of gaze and gesture become clues for how girls find their voices, and the layering of images within and between sequences emphasizes the complexities of representation."
While working with these images of my Grandmother and mother I can see the slight movements and gestures that show uneasiness. It seems that they are trying to find their voices, as mentioned by Novak.

I will continue to look at Novak's work for installation ideas and inspiration.

No comments: