Sunday, March 22, 2009

Dante Gabriel Rossetti: Rossetti Family Photograph Album




Artist's Collection at National Portrait Gallery Website:
http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait.php?search=ap&set=184%3BRossetti+Family+Photograph+Album&page=1&rNo=3

These are photographs of albumen prints form the 1800's. I know that this is not a modern artist, but I was very interested in his work. Rossetti was an artist and poet. He dealt mostly with drawing but spent some time working with photography.
I found it interesting that Rossetti took the time to photograph drawings. I know that this was done at the time, when photography was a rather new art form, for artistic as well as more functional purposes. These photographs look like more than just documents of drawings. The fading and distortion makes the artist's hand much more noticeable.
I found the process to be very interesting and not too different from what I am doing with my work. I especially like the first and third picture on my post because of the fading and distortion.
Even though these are drawings, the photographs make the people and scenes in the drawings look more realistic. Taking a photograph of a drawing almost makes the drawing come to life; it gives them a sense of space and time. It puts breath into the drawings.
I feel like this about my work. The videos I am using have their own sort of life. They are moving images of moments in history. Photographing these moving images brings them to life again. Some of the photographs form videos look as if they were taken first hand.
It is interesting to see that a artist in the 19th Century was possibly working with some of the same concepts as I am. The same basic concepts are very clear between my work and the work of Rossetti: reinventing something for a new purpose and taking something found and making it into your own meaningful piece of art.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This blog is amazing!!!I must to tell that i am a fan of every photo, actually i saw a beautiful picture about house in costa rica homes for sale they are stunning, very comfortable and wonderful too.der