Thursday, February 19, 2009

Paul Shambroom



I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed this lecture. Before going to hear Shambroom speak, I had looked at some of his work. Honestly it didn't interest me. After hearing him speak about his work, it meant so much more to me. His pictures of nuclear weapons went a lot deeper than I had imagined a project like that could go. I also found it interesting that he mentioned feeling "more patriotic" after shooting this series. He mentioned how amazing it was to be able to have the power and the right to ask his government if he could learn about what they were doing, and take pictures at the same time.
I was also very interested in his series of the small town meeetings. They were so honest and real. All of his subjects looked like characters, they couldn't be more perfect. The way their hair, clothes, facial expressions, and gestures fell together were just right. He did a very good job at documenting this series without adding in his own commentary. I feel that it would be easy to make a certain ststement when taking pictures of these Mid Western people. He didn't do this though. He just showed them as they were.
He actually did a good job at keeping his exact thoughts, ideas, and beliefs out of his work. This leads the viewer to make his/her own statement and comments about the work. He wasn't forcing and ideals, but rather showing us what he found and asking us to make up our minds on our own. This was very impressing. I feel that sometimes I get too caught up in trying to explain my work to everyone. I think it's much better to present your work in a simple way, with a s little talking as possible and let the viewers decide what it all means to them personally.

No comments: