Saturday, November 15, 2008

Jaques Henri Lartigue




"Photography to me is catching a moment which is passing, and which is true."

Bio- "Jacques Lartigue was born in Courbevoie on June 13, 1894. He took his first photographs at the age of six, using his father’s camera, and started keeping what would become a lifelong diary. In 1904 he began making photographs and drawings of family games and childhood experiences, also capturing the beginnings of aviation and cars and the smart women of the Bois de Boulogne as well as society and sporting events. An unfailingly curious amateur, he tried out all the available techniques, tirelessly recording the fleeting moments and meticulously arranging his several thousand images in large albums." (Official Web Site)

Supporting Galleries/Museums/Magazines- Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris, Life, and Museum of Modern Art

Article- http://www.slate.com/id/2106598/

I have always been a fan of Lartigue's work. I loved his quote about how photography is catching a true moment in time. I am hoping to capture a moment in time with my project. Although I am capturing pieces of my family history that I was not able to witness, I still feel that these moments are true and pure. Lartigue worked on his photography for most of his life. In the end he had a sort of family album. His photography was a family history.
I have also always been drawn to "old fashioned" pictures. I love how the people, clothes, cars, and cities looked back then. Taking pictures from my family videos, that were shot in the 1930's, is my way of being able to photograph what is impossible to photograph.

No comments: