Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Memory


"Memory is the primary instrument, the inexhaustible nutrient source." Sally Mann

"For me, those pointed lessons of impermanence are softened by the unchanging scape of my life, the durable realities" Sally Mann

Mann, Sally. "Immediate Family." Aperture Foundation Inc. New York, New York. 1992.

Sally Mann is a nationally known and respected photographer. Her work is in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, and many many more. Her work deals mostly with family and memories. Although her work is very personal, her subject matter can relate to all. The ideas of memory, family, death, birth, and impermanence are a part of everyone's life.

I am going to experiment with another idea for my senior portfolio project. I have always been happiest and done my best work when dealing with subjects that are close to me. Subjects that I care deeply for. I plan on working with old family movies dating from the the day my Grandmother was born all the way up through the recent past, with me as a child. Impermanence is a reality, our life will eventually consist of memories once we have passed. Time will continue and more moments will turn into memories. Families are linked through time and memories.

No comments: